Palaces, Castles and Fortresses
Ludwig II not only left his mark he also played a huge role in the fame of Bavarian buildings with his famous fairytale palaces known and loved the world over. But that's not all: a whole array of famous names from the world of architecture from all epochs through the ages have left a legacy of magnificent buildings across the state for us to enjoy.
See below for information about some of our most beautiful and breathtaking palaces, castles and fortresses.
For further details on each estate please go to the Palace Department website (Bavarian Administration of State-owned Palaces, Gardens and Lakes). The website’s interactive map details some 50 sites throughout Bavaria and provides links to each dedicated website.
- Page 1/2
- Next page
Neuschwanstein Castle, built for King Ludwig II between 1869 and 1886 on a rugged cliff against a scenic mountain backdrop, was intended to "embody the true spirit of the medieval German castle"...
With a length of over 1000 metres and almost all of its medieval fortifications still intact, Burghausen is one of the most impressive and the largest castle complexes in Germany and all Europe.
Nymphenburg Palace was built from 17th-19th century as a summer residence for the Bavarian Electors and Kings
The four-winged complex of the New Residence was built from 1613 until 1703. The Palace has over 40 state rooms featuring stucco-work-ceilings, furniture and tapestries from the 17th and 18th centuries.
The former residence of the prince bishops of Würzburg, built between 1720 and 1744 and completed in 1780, is one of the most important palaces in Europe and has been designated a UNESCO world heritage site.
Begun in 1204, Trausnitz Castle was rebuilt and enlarged several times over the centuries; arcade courtyard, castle chapel, "Narrentreppe" (fool's staircase) ...
Crown Prince Maximilian II of Bavaria, Ludwig II's father, had the ruined castle of Schwanstein rebuilt from 1832 in the "Gothic style".
In 1715 Margrave Georg Wilhelm built the Old Palace near the residential town of Bayreuth as the central feature of a court hermitage.
- Page 1/2
- Next page