Füssen and the royal palaces of Neuschwanstein and Hohenschwangau
Füssen, in the Allgäu region of Bavaria, is the southernmost point of the famous "Romantic Road“ and one of the stopovers along Germany’s "Alpine Road". The town is one hour south of Munich and is the perfect place from which to visit the royal palaces of Neuschwanstein and Hohenschwangau - just 2 ½ miles away.
Strolling through the romantic center of the 700-year-old town of Fuessen is a true delight. The town has plenty of shopping as well as a number of sights to see: baroque churches, the former Benedictine abbey of St. Mang, the municipal museum, the “High Castle” (Hohes Schloss) with its inner courtyard and wonderful frescoes as well as a branch of the Bavarian State Art Gallery.
Around the town is some of Bavaria’s most beautiful landscape framed by the mountains and lakes and with a fabulous network of trails for cyclists, mountain bikers and hikers as well as plenty of opportunity for water sports and winter sports. In summer, the very best views of the Füssen skyline, the palaces of Neuschwanstein and Hohenschwangau, and the beautiful Alpine peaks can be enjoyed from on board a lake cruiser on Lake Forggensee. Further sightseeing highlights such as Linderhof Palace; the village of Oberammergau famed for its wood carving artisans and Passion Play; the UNESCO Church of the Wies (Wieskirche, a pilgrimage church); and the new “Museum of the Bavarian Kings” are all easily reachable by car.
Top highlights and attractions of Fussen:
- Palaces of Neuschwanstein and Hohenschwangau and the “Museum of the Bavarian Kings” (4 km/2.5 miles from the center)
- Historic center of Füssen with its baroque churches, Gothic houses, medieval town wall, municipal museum in the St. Mang abbey and the High Palace (Hohes Schloss)
- Boat trip on Lake Forggensee (June 1st – October 15th : 9 departures a day from the harbor in Füssen)
- Take a trip on the cable car up to the summit of Mount Tegelberg: 360˚ panoramic view of the surrounding peaks, Neuschwanstein Palace, Füssen and nearby lakes
Open air festivals in the historic center and more events in Füssen during 2013:
During the summer months the people of Füssen love to celebrate with open air festivals in the historic centre of the town or on the shore of one of the lakes nearby. These festivals are a gala of live music, hearty traditional dishes such as pork hock with dumplings or sausages all accompanied by a glass of cool, refreshing Bavarian beer. The town offers a warm welcome to one and all both locals and visitors from abroad alike.
- Festival in the courtyard of St. Mang Abbey - Klosterhoffest (Friday, July 5th to Saturday, July 6th, 2013)
Füssen’s town band will perform live in the inner courtyard of St. Mang Abbey.
- Füssen goes Jazz (Thursday, August 1st to Sunday, August 4th, 2013)
International acts will perform at the open air jazz festival in Füssen’s historic town centre.
- Lake Hopfensee Festival (August 2013)
Live music and dance on the lakeside stage on the promenade in Hopfen am See.
- Schindaufest (Saturday, August 10th, 2013)
Füssen’s traditional town festival on Schrannenplatz.
- Town Festival Füssen - Füssener Stadtfest (Saturday, August 17th to Sunday, August 18th, 2013)
Traditional beer festival with live music in the town’s pedestrian zone.
- Füssen Christmas market at the Inner Court of St. Mang Abbey (Friday, December 6th to Sunday, December 8th and Friday, December 13th to Sunday, December 15th, 2013)