Gabriele Münter Haus and Schloßmuseum Murnau
The country house, built in 1908 - then still outside of Murnau - was bought one year later by the artist Gabriele Münter (1877-1962). She lived here with her long-term partner Wassily Kandinsky (1866-1944) until 1914 and then again from the late 1920s to her death. As Kandinsky was Russian, the people in Murnau soon referred to the building as the "Russian House". The house was opened to the public in 1999 after extensive restoration works, presenting the original furnishings, furniture, paintings, graphic art and verre-églomisé painted by Münter and Kandinsky as well as selected objects from the folklore collection of the two artists.
The Schloßmuseum was opened in 1993. In addition to information on the landscape and local history and the regional and international reverse glass painting (the Dammert Collection), the museum presents, above all, the significant 20th century art and literature associated with Murnau: the painting of the Blaue Reiter group, in particular Gabriele Münter, whose most extensive public collection of paintings, prints and drawings is on show here, as well as the close links between Murnau and the life and work of the dramatist Ödön von Horváth.
Alongside the permanent exhibition, special exhibitions are regularly mounted focussing on the artistic and cultural history of Murnau and its supraregional links.
Opening hours Gabriele Münter Haus:
Tue.-Sun. 2 pm- 5 pm
82418 Murnau a. Staffelsee
Phone: +49 (0)8841 628880
Fax: +49 (0)8841 628881
Opening hours Schloßmuseum:
all year round Tue.-Sun. 10 am-5 pm
(shorter opening hours possible during the winter)
Jul.-Sep. Tue.-Fri. 10 am- 5 pm
Sat. and Sun. 10 am- 6 pm