Linderhof Palace, the "Royal Villa" of Ludwig II, originated as a hunting lodge belonging to his father Maximilian II - the "Königshäuschen". It was enlarged by Georg Dollmann between 1870 and 1872 with a U-shaped complex centred on the King's Bedchamber. Like its predecessor, the new building was a wooden post-and-infill construction.
It was not until 1874 that the exterior façade was clad in stone, and the old hunting lodge was taken down and rebuilt in the park.
The palace was then completed with the Hall of Mirrors and Staircase and furnished in the style of the "second Rococo" period.
Linderhof Park The Palace Park was completed from 1870 to 1880 from designs by Carl von Effner. Surrounding the palace are imitation baroque gardens and terraces and cascades in the Italian Renaissance style. The adjoining landscape garden continues into the mountain forest of the Ammergau Mountains.
Ludwig II introduced architectural features into the park based on the world of the Orient, such as the Moorish Kiosk and the Moroccan House, and on scenes from Wagner's music dramas such as the Venus Grotto, Hunding's Hut and the Hermitage of Gurnemanz.
The linden tree, from which the palace takes its name, is now 300 years old.