The four-winged complex of the New Residence in Bamberg was built in two stages. Firstly, the backwards two-winged section, which flanks the Obere Karolinenstrasse, was built from 1602 on in the Renaissance style under Prince Bishop von Gebsattel. Then, under Prince Bishop Lothar von Schönborn, the Baroque wings facing the Cathedral were built between 1697 and 1703 as a residence for the Prince Bishop by Leonhard Dientzenhofer.
The magnificent building complex has over 40 state rooms featuring stucco-work ceilings, furniture and tapestries from the 17th and 18th centuries. Painted on the walls of the Imperial Hall are 16 larger than life-sized portraits of emperors, the work of Melchior Steidl.
The Elector's Rooms, the Prince-Bishop's Apartments and the gallery with Old German and Baroque paintings (Branch of the Bavarian State Galleries) are of particular interest and there is a fine view from the Rose Garden in the Residence courtyard. Prince Bishop Friedrich Karl von Schönborn had this regularly symmetrical garden laid out by Balthasar Neumann. It is bordered with clipped lime trees and a dainty garden pavilion (completed in 1757) and with around 4,500 roses in over 70 beds it is filled in summer with fragrance and colour. Every year, the rosen garden serenades take place there.
Special exhibition 2019
"Majestäten, Königskinder, Verfassungsväter" ("Majesties, King's children, Fathers of constitution")
-> from 28 June 2019 until 22 September 2019