To celebrate the birth of their son and heir, Elector Ferdinand Maria and his consort Henriette Adelaide of Savoy appointed architect Agostino Barelli to build them a summer residence west of Munich. The simple cube-shaped building, begun in 1664, was enlarged under Max Emanuel and Karl Albrecht from plans by Enrico Zuccalli and Joseph Effner.
The massive Great Hall ("Steinerner Saal") was decorated in the Rococo style by Johann Baptist Zimmermann and François Cuvilliés the Elder under Elector Max III Joseph. A famous feature of the palace is the "Gallery of Beauties", painted for King Ludwig I by Joseph Stieler.
Nymphenburg ParkFrom 1664, Electress Henriette Adelaide of Savoy had a summer palace built from plans by the Bologna architect Agostino Barelli, with a small ornamental garden on its west side. Henriette Adelaide's garden was completely swallowed up by the park that was created later on. In 1701 Max Emanuel began extending his mother's palace, and also the gardens, which were planned and produced by Charles Carbonet, a pupil of Versailles creator André Le Nôtre. He was probably responsible for the canal which was laid out from 1701 in the existing break in the trees in order to divert water into the garden from the River Würm two kilometres away.
The transformation of the palace and gardens into a famous baroque complex at the hands of Dominique Girard and the Bavarian court architect Joseph Effner did not however properly begin until 1715. It was now that the Nymphenburg canal system was completed and the garden was provided with a variety of water features and the necessary pumping machinery, and refinements were made to the design of the parterre, the hedge gardens and the extensive wooded park.
In the second half of the 18th century, the landscape garden developed in England became increasingly popular in Germany, and Friedrich Ludwig von Sckell was commissioned to transform the geometric baroque complex. He retained the sections along the central axis - the basic structure of the parterre and the central canal with the cascade - and replaced the original geometric axis and avenue system with natural design elements.
For opening times and admission prices please visit the original website of Nymphenburg Palace.