Prompted by pilgrims flocking to see a holy statue that performed miracles, the Norbertine Abbott of Steingaden commissioned a splendid pilgrimage church. The magnificently decorated Church of the Scourged Saviour is located between Steingaden and Wildsteig in the Pfaffenwinkel ("land of monasteries") region of Bavaria. Perched atop a small rise in a meadow at the foot of the Alps, it can be seen from far and wide. Between 1745 and 1754, the famous architect and stucco sculptor Dominikus Zimmermann enlisted the help of a number of the leading artists of his time to create the perfect and undisputed highlight of Bavarian rococo architecture. The chancel was consecrated in 1749 and the church itself in 1754.
Its exuberant interior décor is unparalleled in richness and refinement, with opulent stucco ornamentation and a ceiling fresco painted by Dominikus' brother Baptist Zimmermann, the court painter of the Bavarian Prince Elector. The Pilgrimage Church of Wies was inscribed on the UNESCO World Heritage list as a masterpiece of human creativity and an exceptional reminder of a lost cultural tradition. The brightness of the church interior is particularly impressive. The layout of the building is circular, with an oblong chancel attached. Eight pairs of pillars support the ceiling above the nave of the church. Visitor delight in the skilful interplay of frescos, carvings, stucco, light and colours. The holy image is located right in the centre.
Visitors come not only to enjoy the magnificent rococo art but also for religious contemplation and to venerate the Scourged Saviour. Guided tours of the Wieskirche church (in several languages) are available by appointment for visits from May until October, except during services and special events and on religious holidays. The south entrance offers step-free access for visitors with restricted mobility or in wheelchairs and families with pushchairs. Guide dogs are permitted.
- Opend daily
8 am- 7 pm
8 am - 5 pm