Brewing tradition in a listed castleThe listed Schloss Titting in the Altmühltal has a more than 300 year old brewing tradition: beer has been brewed there since 1707. The Eichstätt master brewer Jakob Engel set up a brewery in the former moated castle on behalf of the prince-bishop Johann Anton I. Knebel von Katzenelnbogen. Today, the Gutmann family is continuing the tradition.
The former moated castle was once in the possession of the Count Palatine of Palatinate-Neuburg and later Elector Otto Henry. Between 1535 and 1539, renovation and construction work in the Renaissance style took place, giving the building its current form. In 1855, the Gutmann family acquired the site and brews beer in the castle to this day.
Modern business enterprise and a monument – how do they fit together?Schloss Titting is a successful example of how modern entrepreneurship and the preservation of a monument can be reconciled. During all the necessary modernisations of the brewery, the castle complex has been preserved in its original character. Additions such as the new malt house can be sensitively integrated into the listed castle complex from the late Middle Ages – thanks to the high level of dedication of the Gutmann family.
From 2007 to 2009, they repaired the stables, the later ox shed. This is now where the administrative office of the brewery is located. In 2011 to 2014, the Gutmann family worked on the restoration of the oval castle complex – parts of its roof still come from the period around 1480. In all the stages of the work, the brewing family proceeded with the utmost consideration for the historical building. This year, the Gutmann family has been awarded the Monument Conservation Medal, along with 26 other prize winners, for their exemplary work with the moated Schloss Titting.
A visit to the architectural monument is worth itThe Gutmann family regularly opens the castle, for example for concerts or guided tours. Guided brewery tours take place every Thursday (apart from public holidays) at 3:00 pm from May to mid-September. Registration is requested (Tel.: +49 (0)8423 99660).
You can find further interesting insights into listed buildings related to the subject of beer in the Bavarian brewery guide “Genuss mit Geschichte. Reisen zu bayerischen Denkmälern – Brauhäuser, Bierkeller, Hopfen und Malz.”. The publication is composed by Karl Gattinger and issued by the Bavarian State Office for the Preservation of Monuments The volume from the “Genuss mit Geschichte” series being published this month by Volk Verlag and is available in book shops.