The massive fortress belonged from 1338 to 1791 to the Burgraves of Nuremberg and subsequent Margraves of Brandenburg, members of the Hohenzollern family. In 1559, Georg Friedrich von Ansbach commissioned Caspar Visher to build a four-winged complex.
The Schöne Hof (Beautiful Courtyard), an arcaded courtyard richly decorated with relief work, is one of the finest examples of German Renaissance art.
Further highlights are the "Frederick the Great" Army Museum (Windsheimer Collection) and the Margravial Rooms with historic pictures of the construction work, portraits of margraves and the gilt canopied bed of Margravine Maria (ca. 1630).
The German Pewter Figure Museum, which was founded in 1929, possesses more than 300,000 objects and is thus considered one of the largest specialised museums of its kind. The museum is housed on four storeys of the arsenal of the Plassenburg and presents art and curiosities, delicate silhouette-figures, robust lead soldiers, painted and unpainted, alone or in groups, 200 years old or freshly made. The particular attraction of the museum, however, is its treasure of dioramas.
For opening times and admission prices please visit the original website.