Würzburg in Bavaria has been a UNESCO world cultural heritage site since 1981. The home of the Würzburg prince bishops was built between 1720 and 1744.
The former residence of the prince bishops of Würzburg, built between 1720 and 1744 and completed in 1780, is one of the most important palaces in Europe and has been designated a UNESCO world heritage site. It was designed by the then young and unknown architect Balthasar Neumann, who was commissioned by Prince Bishop Johann Philipp Franz von Schönborn.
The building embodies the attainments of Western architecture of its day, French château architecture, Viennese baroque and the religious and secular architecture of northern Italy and is a synthesis of the arts of astonishing universality. The owners were the Counts of Schönborn, and almost all the ecclesiastical princes from this dynasty had a passion for building. They influenced the planning not only through the level of splendour they demanded, but also through application of their own creative ideas and their astonishing professional knowledge.
The famous staircase with its unsupported vaulted ceiling features a recently restored fresco by the Venetian painter Giovanni Battista Tiepolo. A walk through the palace garden offers a chance to enjoy art as well as nature.