Spreadable cheese preparation. Colour: light, shading to reddish according to the amount of paprika used. Flavour: mild to spicy, depending on the amount of onions. Obazda is at home in every beer garden. It is eaten spread on bread or with a pretzel.
Ingredients: Camembert, double cream cheese, butter, salt, pepper, caraway, paprika, finely chopped onions and a few dessertspoonfuls of beer. Sometimes the caraway and the beer are left out. In Franconia the beer can be replaced with wine from the area.
Ingredients: (serves 4)
- 500g ripe Camembert
- 40g soft butter
- 200g cream cheese
- 80g finely chopped onions
- Salt, pepper
- Paprika, caraway
- 2 desert spoons of chopped chives
- 60g finely sliced onion rings
- 6-8 desert spoons of beer to taste
- Mash the Camembert with a fork and add the butter, cream cheese and onions.
- Season with salt, pepper, paprika and caraway to taste. Add beer gradually and stir.
- Spoon a portion of Obatzda onto each plate and garnish with onion rings, chives and caraway.
- Serve preferably with rye bread, wholemeal bread and radishes.