Gates and towers in a medieval ovalIsny's layout is one of the most striking examples of medieval town planning in south-west Germany. The oval divided by crossroads is formed by town walls, towers, town houses, churches and the castle. Buildings and museums tell of the historic roots of the town. This can be seen in a ramble down the parapet walk or in a visit to the former jail house in the water gate.
Isny tells a storyIsny is characterised by a long history of contrasts, at the centre of which were the tensions between the Catholic abbey and the Protestant population. The guided tour "Isny tells a story" takes you to historic sites and to high towers, into gloomy dungeons, purist chapels and Baroque churches. During the tour, you will learn how the complacent clergy, Catholic nobility, enlightened patricians and wealthy merchants once shaped life within the walls of the medieval oval.
Art in the castleThe rooms of the castle, in which Benedictine monks once prayed for a better world, are the perfect place for presenting art, design and architecture: They accommodate the Isny Castle Gallery with works by the Isny-born artist Friedrich Hechelmann and the City Gallery in the Castle with temporary exhibitions.
Things to see and experience:
- Isny Castle Gallery: The work of the Isny-born artist Friedrich Hechelmann – biography, art and statement.
- City Gallery in the Castle: Design, architecture, fine arts and cultural history.
- City Gallery in the Tower (Espantor): In the former fortified tower, contemporary artists are presented on four floors - pictures, objects and sculptures. Temporary exhibitions from May - September.
- Preachers' library: original library from the 15th century which helped the preachers of the Free Imperial City of Isny with their academic further education and with the thorough preparation for their sermons, containing writings of Luther, Melanchthon and Zwingli, amongst others.
- Wandertrilogie Allgäu (Allgäu hiking trilogy) - The green heart of the Allgäu
- Water Gate Museum: As a former jail house, the museum provides insight into the gloomy existence of the prisoners. Original graffiti is preserved on the walls of the dungeon. Right at the top, in the tower's living quarters, you feel – when you look at the medieval layout of the town – as if you have been transported to the time of fires and peasants' wars.
- Käsküche Isny (Isny Cheese Kitchen): How is milk made into cheese? A visit to the show dairy answers your questions relating the art of cheese production, and it tastes good too.