Whether you are looking for a rural and natural environment or cultural highlights – Marktoberdorf in the Allgäu offers almost everything. With a fascinating mixture of contemplative tranquillity and village life, accumulated history and lively modernity, culture and pure nature. There are many venerable churches and clearly presented museums that are worth a visit. For example, the parish church of Saint Martin on the Schlossberg is a jewel of the Rococo period. The Chapel of Our Lady in Marktplatz, which, together with the Old Town Hall, gives the town its own, attractive ambience, offers you time out from your hectic everyday life.
The Bavarian Music Academy in the former prince bishop's palace, high above the rooftops of Marktoberdorf, promises sheer cultural delight. The almost two kilometre Kurfürstenallee, lined by lime trees, also provides great pleasure. Here, you can enjoy the unique view of Marktoberdorf and the panorama of the Allgäu Alps again and again.
Relax and take time for a voyage of discovery through this interesting little town nearby Kempten!
Things to see and experience:
- Parish church of Saint Martin with prince bishop's palace and the lime tree avenue
- Chapel of Our Lady with Old Town Hall on Marktplatz
- Künstlerhaus Marktoberdorf (museum of contemporary art)
- Roman finds in Marktoberdorf-Kohlhunden
- Local History Museum in the Hartmann House with a farmer's garden
- Town museums: Town Museum, Sudeten Mountains Museum and Paul Röder Museum
- St. Wendelin's Chapel in the "Buchel" local recreation area
- Plague cemetery
- Town event centre MODEON with maypole
- Filmburg, Marktoberdorf